Maintenance of furniture is necessary to make it lasts longer. However, the upkeep differs depending on the material used specifically if it is located in your patio.
Maintenance of fabrics for patio furniture, cushions and umbrellas is not a tiring and difficult task. There is no need for you to clean it often although you need to observe some tender loving care.
It is essential to cover your cushions when they are not being used. It would also be wise to remove them when winter is worst and bring them out when the weather is better.
For patio fabrics, choose those that are resistant to weather as well as mold and give them a wash occasionally.
- Use the gentle cycle of the machine when washing patio furniture fabrics.
- Bleach those that are in white color.
- Hang them outside to dry.
- Stretch back over the frame chair covers to avoid them from getting smaller
For acrylic cushions
- Remove them from the frame first. Have a mixture of soap and water to clean the area and finally rinse it with water.
- Make sure that you dry them totally prior to storing them, as mildew can build up if they are kept when they are still a little moist.
- If you see any mildew build up, mix a cup detergent soap, a cup of bleach and 1 gallon of water. Mix them carefully and spray it on the entire cushion. Wear goggles to protect your eyes from the spraying solution. Let the mixture stand for 30 minutes before scrubbing it with a rag. Rinse it with water and let it dry totally.
- Keep the cushions as is. Do not attempt to wrap or put them in plastic. The latter will cause mildew to the cushion.
If you have umbrellas, give its covering an occasional wash and oil its frame to safeguard it from rust.
- Make a mixture of cold water and mild soap and use a brush with soft bristles
- Buy some spray lubricants (from hardware stores) to oil the frame of umbrella.