Glass for dining tables already existed even in the traditional designs. Glass top dining tables will give your dining room a sophisticated and classy look. It allows the room to have an open yet formal ambiance and not just for hanging out or lounging around.
Although glass is naturally strong, it is not as sturdy as wood or stone. Its beauty and delicateness make you to be extra careful and to apply additional precautionary measures so as not to abuse or overuse it.
Glass top dining tables are beautiful, but because glass is a delicate material, they can be very dangerous. There are three types of glass used by furniture manufacturers: regular, annealed, and tempered. Of these three, tempered is the sturdiest and is thermal resistant because it is heat-treated.
Weighing the Pros and Cons of Glass Top Dining Tables
- It makes your dining room look elegant. Glass is genteel and exudes finesse that can give your dining area a very formal look, fitted for fine dining.
- It lights up the dining room. The transparent quality of glass helps in distributing the light better. This gives the room a fresh and airy feel.
- It makes the dining room look larger. Glass adds illusion that makes your dining space look wider and larger. With its transparent characteristic, your guests get the impression that your home has a wider floor area. This makes glass top dining tables ideal for small dining rooms.
- It enhances the beauty of the wood furniture. Most glass top modern dining tables are made of wood. This is because glass and wood complement each other. Glass highlights the beauty of wood and vice versa. The combination of glass and wood produces attraction and magnetism.
- It is low maintenance. Glass top dining tables only require a wet or damp piece of cloth to clean dirt and dust. You do not even have to use any cleaning products. Plain water is enough to keep it clean and make it shinier and smoother as the first time you bought it.
While there are good points on having a glass top modern dining table, there is also a few downsides.
- It requires regular cleaning. Glass gets dirty easily. It gets smudges, fingerprints, dust, spills that requires wiping after every use. It can even get marks if you place hot cups on it. To prevent your glass tabletop from getting marks, always have a saucer with your hot cup of tea or coffee. It would also be wise to use a placemat whenever you have something hot to put on top of the dining table.
- It can be dangerous. Glass can be a safety hazard particularly if you have kids or allow your pets inside the home. Kids are can be uncontrolled, clumsy, and riotous. They can either get hurt or damage the glass. Pets are the same way, too. If you really want a glass top dining table, choose a round or oval shape table. These shapes do not have sharp corners that make them safer for children, unlike the rectangular and square tables. Make sure you choose tempered glass top, as they do not break into pieces, unlike the regular and annealed glass.
- It can be expensive. Glass tabletops can be expensive depending on the type of glass used. Tempered glass is costlier because it is of high quality. Contemporary styles or designs can make glass top tables expensive because duplication is minimal.
Why Purchase Glass Top Modern Dining Tables?
The decision of having a glass top dining table will depend on the following factors: 1) family members, 2) style of the dining table, 3) budget and 4) your children’s safety, which is the most important factor.
With modern furniture online stores selling a huge variety of modern dining room sets, you are assured to find the suitable glass top dining tables that suit your requirements.
This blog post was first published on The Pros and Cons of Glass Top Modern Dining Tables. Find more on: LA Furniture Store Blog